After losing its record-setting momentum a year ago, the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July select yearling auction rebounded significantly during its latest edition, which ended Tuesday.
A California and Del Mar record Pick Six payoff was set Aug. 1 when a single ticket containing all six winners, held mostly by Desperado Stables owner Scott Guenther, was worth $2,100,117.
Popular California speedster Freespool has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Rick Taylor's Special T Thoroughbreds near Temecula, Calif.
Buddy Gil, upstart winner of the Baldwin Stakes on turf and the San Felipe Stakes on the main track, worked five furlongs in :59 seconds on Santa Anita's fast maintrack under Gary Stevens in preparation for the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby on April 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Divine Oath Needs Kent to Get Back on Track
- Study Compares Abdominal Bandage Pressure, Support
- Keeneland September Sale Gains Continue
- Somber Mood Hangs Over Suffolk Downs
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby