It remains to be seen whether the connections of Shogood will attempt to stretch him out around two turns for his next start, but on Feb. 20 he had little trouble winning the 6 1/2-furlong WEBN Stakes at Turfway Park.
The path to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) appears to run through Arkansas for Toews On Ice.
William Stiritz's Shogood made his stakes debut in impressive fashion Aug. 22, soaring gate-to-wire to win the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) at Arlington International Racecourse.
Hogy pounced on the leaders coming out of the turn and took command in the stretch to register his first graded stakes win with an 8-1 upset in the $150,000 Hanshin Cup Stakes (gr. III) May 25 at Arlington Park.
Trainer Larry Rivelli, who had a two-win advantage over conditioner Scott Becker entering the closing day of the 2011 Arlington Park season Sept. 25, officially earned his first trainer championship at the Chicago-area track.
Team Block wins the White Oak Handicap with Shrewd Operator, while trainer Christine Janks scores with Big Looie in the Springfield Stakes June 19 at Arlington Park.
Front-running Racing Bran, thanks to a heady ride from Chris Emigh, ran away from odds-on choice Win Willy and the rest of the field in the $100,000 Essex Handicap at Oaklawn Park Feb. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Nomorerichblondes Leads Home KY Breds in Meydan
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Maker Quartet Headlines Fair Grounds 'Cap
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move