City Zip will attempt to become the first horse since Dehere in 1993 to sweep Saratoga's juvenile stakes when he faces 11 rivals in Saturday's $200,000 Hopeful Stakes (gr. I). The Hopeful is also the first leg in a new bonus series offered by the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.
Carl Bowling and Charles R. Thompson's City Zip pressed early leader Strait Cat through opening fractions of :22.17 and :45.27 before pulling away to a 2 1/4-length victory in the $150,000 Saratoga Special Stakes (gr. II) Wednesday at Saratoga.
Peachtree Stable's American Century breezed five furlongs for trainer Todd Pletcher Sunday morning, completing the distance in 1:02 2/5 over a muddy track at Saratoga. The 2-year-old, who won a Sartoga maiden race by 7 1/4 lengths, will run next in the $150,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II) on Wednesday at Saratoga.
City Zip made amends for a disappointing performance in the $82,000 Flash Stakes in June, winning the $107,200 Tremont Stakes Monday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Meet the Rare White Foal at Rockridge Stud
- Flashy American, Funfair Light Up Bid Board
- Fasig-Tipton Winter Mixed Sale Posts Declines
- WinStar Derby Challenge Begins Feb. 12
- East Vs. West in Second Derby Future Wager
- Casse Cues Up Sam F. Davis Wildcard
- Fasig-Tipton Ky Winter Mixed Sale Day 2 Wrap
- Making the Grade: Mohaymen
- Industry Makes Its Case Against Decoupling
- HRRN to Cover Penn Gaming Racing Challenge