While the horses for the first two sessions of the Keeneland November Breeding Stock sale were grouped together in one catalogue, Monday's first day and Tuesday's second session resembled "a tale of two sales."
Through sloppy track conditions, Scoop and Robby Albarado emerged as the final leaders to prevail in the $200,000-added Indiana Breeders' Cup Oaks, Hoosier Park's first graded stakes event. The grade III race was the featured event on the 11-race program Friday.
Two Item Limit will be seeking her fourth graded stakes victory on Friday in the $200,000 Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (gr. II) at Pimlico Race Course. The 3-year-old filly will face four rivals in the 1 1/8 mile event.
Scoop dropped out of the Kentucky Oaks hunt Tuesday morning, clearing the way for Santa Anita Oaks runner-up Flute to run in Friday's big race. Flute's status was in question Monday after trainer Mark Hennig said he was expanding his Oaks entry from two to three fillies. The race's field is limited to 14 runners, with preference given to those with the highest earnings.
Four shippers and five locals comprise the field for the 36th running of the Fair Grounds Oaks for 3-year-old fillies Saturday. She's A Devil Due, the 2-1 morning-line favorite, drew the No. 4 post-position for the $350,000 Grade II race.
Richard, Bertram, and Elaine Klein's Thunder Bertie closed from off the pace to win the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie Stakes (gr. III) by 2 3/4 lengths Saturday at Arlington International. The win was the second career win for the Bernard Flint trainee, who completed the one-turn mile race in 1:36.91 under Jeremy Beasley.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice