While the horses for the first two sessions of the Keeneland November Breeding Stock sale were grouped together in one catalogue, Monday's first day and Tuesday's second session resembled "a tale of two sales."
Through sloppy track conditions, Scoop and Robby Albarado emerged as the final leaders to prevail in the $200,000-added Indiana Breeders' Cup Oaks, Hoosier Park's first graded stakes event. The grade III race was the featured event on the 11-race program Friday.
Two Item Limit will be seeking her fourth graded stakes victory on Friday in the $200,000 Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (gr. II) at Pimlico Race Course. The 3-year-old filly will face four rivals in the 1 1/8 mile event.
Scoop dropped out of the Kentucky Oaks hunt Tuesday morning, clearing the way for Santa Anita Oaks runner-up Flute to run in Friday's big race. Flute's status was in question Monday after trainer Mark Hennig said he was expanding his Oaks entry from two to three fillies. The race's field is limited to 14 runners, with preference given to those with the highest earnings.
Four shippers and five locals comprise the field for the 36th running of the Fair Grounds Oaks for 3-year-old fillies Saturday. She's A Devil Due, the 2-1 morning-line favorite, drew the No. 4 post-position for the $350,000 Grade II race.
Richard, Bertram, and Elaine Klein's Thunder Bertie closed from off the pace to win the $100,000 Arlington-Washington Lassie Stakes (gr. III) by 2 3/4 lengths Saturday at Arlington International. The win was the second career win for the Bernard Flint trainee, who completed the one-turn mile race in 1:36.91 under Jeremy Beasley.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic Endgame for Gun Runner in 2017
- Knee Chip Knocks El Areeb Off Derby Trail
- Sheikh Mohammed 'Definitely' Plans to Hike DWC Purse
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Suffolk Downs Sale Approved by Gaming Commission
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Taghleeb Looks For Third Straight Win in Pan American
- Plenty of Options in Competitive Louisiana Derby
- Average Spikes at Barretts March Sale