Canadian Horse of the Year Wando died Jan. 22 at Schonberg Farm in Ontario at age 14. The farm said the suspected cause of death was a heart attack.
A trio of yearlings topped the open session of the annual Canadian-Bred yearling sale, selling for $45,000 each at the Woodbine Sales Pavilion on Sept. 10.
Wando, a Canadian Triple Crown winner for breeder/owner Gustav Schickedanz, was retired after suffering a slight tear in his left hind suspensory during the May 4 Westchester Handicap (gr. III).
Numberonetreasure, a mare in foal to Langfuhr, brought the top price of $32,000 during the winter mixed sale conducted by the Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Daily Updates
- Day By Day
- Bourbon Lane Launches Pasture at Old Friends
- Cooler Temps Forecast for Derby Week
- Taptowne Looks for Breakthrough in Texas Mile
- How Hong Kong's On-Track Pharmacies Work
- CHRB to Hear Report on Proposed Fairplex Move
- Stars of the Oaks: Blind Luck
- Saratoga 2014 to Offer Record Stakes Purses
- Old Friends Retires GII Winner Radiohead