Canadian Horse of the Year Wando died Jan. 22 at Schonberg Farm in Ontario at age 14. The farm said the suspected cause of death was a heart attack.
A trio of yearlings topped the open session of the annual Canadian-Bred yearling sale, selling for $45,000 each at the Woodbine Sales Pavilion on Sept. 10.
Wando, a Canadian Triple Crown winner for breeder/owner Gustav Schickedanz, was retired after suffering a slight tear in his left hind suspensory during the May 4 Westchester Handicap (gr. III).
Numberonetreasure, a mare in foal to Langfuhr, brought the top price of $32,000 during the winter mixed sale conducted by the Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Exaggerator, Nyquist Set for Belmont Rematch