Canadian Horse of the Year Wando died Jan. 22 at Schonberg Farm in Ontario at age 14. The farm said the suspected cause of death was a heart attack.
A trio of yearlings topped the open session of the annual Canadian-Bred yearling sale, selling for $45,000 each at the Woodbine Sales Pavilion on Sept. 10.
Wando, a Canadian Triple Crown winner for breeder/owner Gustav Schickedanz, was retired after suffering a slight tear in his left hind suspensory during the May 4 Westchester Handicap (gr. III).
Numberonetreasure, a mare in foal to Langfuhr, brought the top price of $32,000 during the winter mixed sale conducted by the Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society.
Most Popular Stories
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir be 'The Boss'
- HOF Trainer Jerkens in Intensive Care in FL
- Crimson Giant Chasing Unlikely Big 'Cap Glory
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- American Pharoah Tops 162 Blue Grass Nominees
- Horses to Watch at F-T Florida Sale
- Consignors Upbeat Ahead of F-T Florida Sale
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- African Story Tries Super Saturday Challenge