Canadian Horse of the Year Wando died Jan. 22 at Schonberg Farm in Ontario at age 14. The farm said the suspected cause of death was a heart attack.
A trio of yearlings topped the open session of the annual Canadian-Bred yearling sale, selling for $45,000 each at the Woodbine Sales Pavilion on Sept. 10.
Wando, a Canadian Triple Crown winner for breeder/owner Gustav Schickedanz, was retired after suffering a slight tear in his left hind suspensory during the May 4 Westchester Handicap (gr. III).
Numberonetreasure, a mare in foal to Langfuhr, brought the top price of $32,000 during the winter mixed sale conducted by the Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society.
Most Popular Stories
- The Day After: No Regrets From Team 'Pharoah'
- Keen Ice Tired After Travers, 'Classic' Ahead
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Stellar Wind Dominant in Torrey Pines
- Valid Bounds Away to Iselin Victory
- Smokey the Pony Reining at Saratoga
- Navarro Mulling BC Dirt Mile for Private Zone
- NY Fan Forum: Improve Customer Service
- Site Read Favored in With Anticipation
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score