Canadian Horse of the Year Wando died Jan. 22 at Schonberg Farm in Ontario at age 14. The farm said the suspected cause of death was a heart attack.
A trio of yearlings topped the open session of the annual Canadian-Bred yearling sale, selling for $45,000 each at the Woodbine Sales Pavilion on Sept. 10.
Wando, a Canadian Triple Crown winner for breeder/owner Gustav Schickedanz, was retired after suffering a slight tear in his left hind suspensory during the May 4 Westchester Handicap (gr. III).
Numberonetreasure, a mare in foal to Langfuhr, brought the top price of $32,000 during the winter mixed sale conducted by the Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society.
Most Popular Stories
- Ward Fillies Work at Arlington for Royal Meet
- American Pharoah Continues Churchill Training
- Sheikh Hamdan: U.S. TC Too Much Pressure
- Mubtaahij Breezes Easy at Belmont Park
- Ol' Fashion Gal Fends Off Late Run in Selene
- Ashleyluvssugar No Fluke in Whittingham
- Stewart Pleased with Tale of Verve at Belmont
- Solow, Queen's Jewel Win at Longchamp
- Main Sequence to Defend United Nations Title
- American Pharoah Gallops Again at Churchill