Arthur B. Hancock III's Stone Farm announced the retirement of homebred grade II winner Owsley from racing.
Empire Maker, whose Belmont Stakes (gr. I) win ended the Triple Crown threat of Funny Cide, has been retired from racing and will stand for a fee of $100,000 live foal at Khalid Abdullah's Juddmonte Farms near Lexington.
Sheikh Hamdan's Shadwell Stud announced that homebred champion and millionaire Nayef has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Shadwell's Nunnery Stud in England.
Florida Turf writer Glen Gallivan died Sept. 30 at his home after a lifelong battle with muscular dystrophy.
Lure, a two-time Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner whose fertility problems at the Hancock family's Claiborne Farm near Paris, Ky., resulted in the farm cashing in an insurance claim, has been returned to the historic farm to live out his final days.
Graded stakes winner Ommadon has arrived at Metropolitan Stud near Pine Plains, N.Y., where he will enter stud for a fee of $3,000 live foal.
Semi Northern, a 25-year-old son of Northern Dancer, died Sept. 1 at Henry and Reta Regelink's Big Curve Acres Farm near Hawkestone, Ontario, Canada.
Margaret Grimm's grade I winner Ms. Eloise, whose first four foals won or placed in stakes, died Sept. 12 at Nina Hahn's Lochness Farm near Paris, Ky.
Kentucky Turf writer Bob Adair, who covered racing with uncommon thoroughness, died Sept. 19 at a Louisville hospital. He was 82.
Gone West, whose yearling filly out of Touch of Greatness brought the top price of $3.8 million at the Keeneland September sale, will stand once again for $125,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Three Stakes Highlight Los Alamitos Summer Meet
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement