The Texas Stallion Stakes Series will be renamed to honor Clarence Scharbauer Jr., the longtime leading Texas owner and breeder who passed away in February.
Grade II winner Wimbledon was represented by his first winner when his son Fast Serve won May 24 at Lone Star Park.
Alysheba, a Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner and Horse of the Year, was euthanized March 27 at Hagyard Equine Medical Institute near Lexington.
Horse of the Year and Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Alysheba is returning to the United States from Saudi Arabia. He will reside in the Hall of Champions at the Kentucky Horse Park.
Clarence and Dorothy Scharbauer, L. William (Bill) and Corinne Heiligbrodt, and Dixie Dot Com will comprise the second class of inductees into the Lone Star Park Hall of Fame, the track announced June 15.
Carl Nafzger and his wife, Wanda, have been a lot of places, the trainer said Saturday night during his address at the Texas Thoroughbred Association's annual awards banquet. But they have been all those places because of one thing -- the horse.
Grade II winners Early Flyer and Proud Citizen were represented by their first winners May 5.
Wimbledon, winner of last year's Louisiana Derby (gr. II), has been retired for stallion duty at Clarence Scharbauer Jr.'s Valor Farm near Pilot Point, Texas.
Dorothy Turner Scharbauer, who campaigned Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner and Horse of the Year Alysheba, died shortly after midnight Wednesday following a battle with pancreatic cancer.
Grade II winner Early Flyer will take up stallion duty at Clarence and Dorothy Scharbauer's Valor Farm near Pilot Point, Texas, for a fee of $2,500.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Sportive Overcomes Fog to Win Portland Mile
- Wildcat Red Sidelined with Back Muscle Pull
- First Reported Foal for Gig Harbor is Colt
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull