Favored Master Command gave trainer Todd Pletcher and jockey Garrett Gomez their third stakes win at Pimlico Race Course Saturday with a 2 3/4-length score in the $100,000 William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III).
Funny Cide returns to the site of his smashing victory in the 2003 Preakness (gr. I) in Saturday's William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) at Pimlico Race Course, where he will face six other older horses going 1 1/8 miles on the main track.
West Point Thoroughbreds' Seattle Fitz, who posted impressive back-to-back victories in the (gr. III) Schaefer at Pimlico and the (gr. II) Brooklyn Handicap at Belmont, will skip the Suburban Handicap (gr. I) on July 3 and make his next start in the $750,000 Whitney Handicap (gr. I) on Aug. 7 at Saratoga.
The Kiaran McLaughlin-trained Seattle Fitz scored a 1 1/2-length win in the $100,000 William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) on the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) undercard Saturday at Pimlico Race Course.
The William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/8 mile Saturday at Pimlico drew a field of 11, including Ole Faunty, who was also entered in Friday's Pimlico Special. Pat Day rides the 5-year-old, who won the John B. Campbell Handicap at Laurel in February.
A couple promising stakes-placed horses hope to become stakes winners after the $100,000 William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) at Pimlico Saturday. Notably Frosty, second in Pimlico's Lexington Park Claiming Stakes on April 29, and Perfect Cat, second in Keeneland's Ben Ali Stakes (gr. III) on April 27 are among the nine colts, horses, and geldings contesting the nine-furlong Schaefer.
Most Popular Stories
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Slideshow: 2014 Farewells
- Attorney: NYTHA Protest Plan Not Objective
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned