Monba, winner of the 2008 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I), has been sold and will enter stud in 2010 at Mike Jester's Penn Ridge Farms near Harrisburg, Pa.
Grade II winner and track-record holder Keyed Entry has been retired from racing and will stand the 2009 breeding season at Bridlewood Farm near Ocala, Fla.
Eclipse Award winner Fleet Indian produced her first foal, a Storm Cat colt, at Summer Wind Farm near Georgetown, Ky.
- By Ryan Conley
The loss of star racehorses in training and the negative effect it has on the sport was a hot topic during a panel discussion Dec. 5 at the 33rd Symposium on Racing & Gaming in Tucson, Ariz.
Keyed Entry, who finished third in the Wood Memorial (gr. I), will ship to Churchill Downs Monday, and if he trains to the satisfaction of trainer Todd Pletcher, will be pointed for the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Todd Pletcher, whose bench is stronger than most other trainers' first string, sends out the first team on Saturday, when he'll saddle Bluegrass Cat in the Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) and Keyed Entry in the Gotham Stakes (gr. III).
The former owners of champion Ashado, who brought a record $9 million at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale, have established a four-year scholarship in the mare's name for a female college student studying an equine-related subject. The scholarship will be administered by The Race For Education.
Purge, a multiple New York graded stakes winner, will enter stud at Dr. Tom Simon's Vinery near Lexington in 2006.
Ashado, who missed the Louisville Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) on Kentucky Derby day because her trainer was not satisfied with her weight assignment, may run this Friday carrying that same 123 pounds.
Ashado, the pro-tem leader of the 3-year-old filly division, will need her "A" game Saturday at Saratoga while breaking from post 6 in the historic Alabama Stakes (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Epicharis Earns Japan Kentucky Derby Bid
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George