Godolphin Stable's homebred Little Belle will try to pick up where she left off this past spring at Keeneland and punch her ticket to the Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic (gr. I) later this month when she battles 10 older rivals in the $500,000 Juddmonte Spinster (gr. I) Oct. 5 in Lexington.
Graded stakes winners Brownie Points, Bayou's Lassie, and Meribel headline a field of 10 entered for the $150,000-added Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT), a one-mile event turf event for fillies and mares July 6, the closing day of the 52-day spring meet at Churchill Downs.
Stuart Janney III and Phipps Stable's Carriage Trail broke to an early lead and never gave it up, outlasting six rivals in the $125,000 Doubledogdare (gr. III) to win by 1 1/4 lengths in Keeneland's April 18 feature.
California star Nashoba's Key tries to find her winning form again with a change of jockey and a switch back to synthetic surface for the $300,000 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita March 9.
With no stakes winner in the field, even-money choice Dawn After Dawn had an easy time of it in winning the $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) on the front end at Santa Anita Feb. 10.
Trainers Bob Baffert and John Sadler have a fall back plan just in case racing doesn't resume as announced at Santa Anita Feb. 9. They also entered their fillies, Tough Tiz's Sis and Dawn After Dawn, respectively, in the $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II), which is set to run the following day.
Most Popular Stories
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Woodward Up Next for Frosted
- Lady Eli's Miracle Comeback Looms
- Unbeaten Enola Gray Steps Up in Torrey Pines
- Del Mar to Cut Race Dates, Open Later in 2017
- Majesto Spikes Fever, to Scratch From Travers
- 'Crook' 50th Black-Type Winner for Freud
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator