John Ferguson purchased a quartet of 3-year-olds for a total of 10.1 million gns ($19,840,540) on a lively opening breeding stock session of the Tattersalls December Sale in Newmarket yesterday. He also set a new European record for a filly when he bought Satwa Queen for 3.4 millin gns (nearly $6.7 million).
Satwa Queen, the only older runner in the race, collared Promising Lead on the line to win the Prix de l'Opera Casino Barriere d'Enghien Les Bains (Fr-I) at 1 1/4 miles Oct. 27 at Longchamp in France.
Satwa Queen survived a fight to the wire with Bahia Breeze to capture the Darley Prix Jean Romanet (Fr-II) by a short head at Deauville Aug. 19.
When Satwa Queen springs from the gate in the Emirates Airline Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) Nov. 4 at Churchill Downs trainer Jean de Roualle will be content knowing his prep work is done and the outcome of the race is in the hands of jockey Thierry Thulliez.
European sensation Ouija Board drew post two and was made the 8-5 morning line favorite for the Nov. 4 Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs, where she will face nine challengers, including 3-year-old sensation Wait a While and race veteran Film Maker.
Two of three flights that will carry international contenders to Churchill Downs for the Breeders Cup World Championships are scheduled to arrive in Louisville on Oct. 29.
Team Valor's 4-year-old Irridescence, a champion filly in South Africa last season, beat double group-winning French filly Satwa Queen by 1 1/4 lengths Friday evening at Nad al Sheba in the listed Balanchine Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Filly First Winner for Line of David
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16