Last year's European champion Shamardal, who is due to make his first start for Godolphin Saturday's UAE Derby (UAE-II), is considered his new owner's best ever Kentucky Derby (gr. I) prospect, according to Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford.
Sweet Catomine, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2004 and winner of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I), has been installed as a solid 4-1 favorite in the second of three pools in Churchill Downs' 2005 Kentucky Oaks Future Wager, which begins its March 10-13 run on Thursday (March 10).
Irish trainer Dermot Weld scored his 3,000th career win Feb. 17 at Nad al Sheba Racecourse when King Jock, under jockey Pat Smullen, posted a 1 3/4-length victory in the San Siro International Stakes over 1,500 meters on the turf during the Dubai International Racing Carnival.
Most Popular Stories
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity
- Supreme Court to Consider N.J. Sports Gambling Case
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- Hong Kong Announces Awards Finalists
- Three Trustees Named to National Museum Board