The Leo Nechamkin II's Gators N Bears burst through the pack on the inside in the Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) to win the $186,000 race by 1 ¼ lengths Saturday at Pimlico Race Course.
Sam-Son Farms homebred Soaring Free, winner of the Shakertown (gr. IIIT) in his most recent start, is the 121-pound highweight and probable favorite the Maryland Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) that is part of Saturday's Preakness Day card at Pimlico.
The Leo Nechamkin owned and trained Gators N Bears won the $75,000 Hoover Stakes at Laurel Park Saturday, but not without a fight from Michael Gill's entry of Native Heir and My Good Trick.
Friday's eighth race at Laurel Park could provide a candidate or two for next month's $300,000 De Francis Dash (gr. I), as two top contenders – Boston Common and Take Achance On Me – finished one-two in the $36,000 optional allowance test.
Mud-loving Native Heir won for the sixth time in the off-going Saturday, this time taking top honors in the $75,000 Ben Cohen Stakes at Pimlico.
A refreshed Wrangler hopes to regain the stakes-winning form he displayed last February in Thursday's $100,000 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) over six furlongs at Aqueduct.
D'wildcat gets a hard-earned grade I victory in a muddy renewal of the Frank J. De Francis Dash.
Thunderello, the longshot who led throughout before finishing second in the NAPA Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), is the 9-5 morning-line favorite for Saturday's grade I Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash at Laurel Park.
Toby Roth's Sassy Hound upped his lifetime record to 13
for 25 with a commanding performance in Saturday's $50,000 Dave's Friend Stakes at Laurel Park.
Yonaguska, winner of the Hutcheson Stakes and Sport Page Handicap this year, drew the rail as 11 horses were entered for the Fall Highweight Handicap (gr. II) that highlight's Thursday's Thanksgiving Day card at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Finnegans Wake to Stand at Ballena Vista Farm