He started nearly 50/1 last start and won at group I level in Sydney impressively beating a strong field. So why was Sarrera friendless again May 17 in Brisbane when lining up for another group I, this time the 10 furlongs Doomben Cup?
There has been unprecedented media coverage over the past week in Australia about the seemingly incredible amount of bad luck champion jockey Damien Oliver has had in group I races since last November. He has ridden just one group I winner in that time, but has amazingly been placed 19 times 10 of them as the runner-up, with one of them narrowly in the Melbourne Cup.
Most Popular Stories
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale