He started nearly 50/1 last start and won at group I level in Sydney impressively beating a strong field. So why was Sarrera friendless again May 17 in Brisbane when lining up for another group I, this time the 10 furlongs Doomben Cup?
There has been unprecedented media coverage over the past week in Australia about the seemingly incredible amount of bad luck champion jockey Damien Oliver has had in group I races since last November. He has ridden just one group I winner in that time, but has amazingly been placed 19 times 10 of them as the runner-up, with one of them narrowly in the Melbourne Cup.
Most Popular Stories
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- War Chant to Remain at Yarradale in Australia
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- The Dirt On Synthetics Timeline
- Thoroughbred Club to Honor Veterinarians
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets
- What's Going On Here: Keeping the Promise
- Commanding Curve Entered in Curlin Stakes
- The Week in Photos for 7/22/2014