He started nearly 50/1 last start and won at group I level in Sydney impressively beating a strong field. So why was Sarrera friendless again May 17 in Brisbane when lining up for another group I, this time the 10 furlongs Doomben Cup?
There has been unprecedented media coverage over the past week in Australia about the seemingly incredible amount of bad luck champion jockey Damien Oliver has had in group I races since last November. He has ridden just one group I winner in that time, but has amazingly been placed 19 times 10 of them as the runner-up, with one of them narrowly in the Melbourne Cup.
Most Popular Stories
- Suffolk Downs, Horsemen Have Deal for Meets
- American Pharoah Shows Readiness for Rebel
- TJC Acquires Majority Interest in Blood-Horse
- California Chrome Working Steadily for Dubai
- Nerud 3-Year-Old Wins Again at Big A
- Kentucky Oaks Attracts 154 Nominees
- Charles Town, Oaklawn, Laurel Cancel Cards
- Insights on Jockey Club's Purchase of B-H
- West Point to Sponsor BC Betting Challenge
- Dr. Tony Ryan Book Award Semifinalists Named