Highland Yard's Walk Close bided her time off the pace in the $100,000 Modesty Handicap (gr. IIIT) and then asserted herself in the stretch to win July 11 at Arlington International Racecourse.
Prominent United States-based owners Jon and Sarah Kelly secured a Redoute's Choice colt in the first seven-figure transaction of this year's Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale Jan. 10 in Queensland.
The Keeneland September yearling sale kept the momentum going during its fourth session, continuing to generate numbers that were encouraging to consignors and sale company officials.
Vacare, winner of the 2006 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup Stakes (gr. IT) and an earner of $1,123,706, has been scratched from the Keeneland November breeding stock sale because of the struggling economy and downturns at many recent Thoroughbred auctions, said the mare's co-owner, Jon Kelly, Oct. 30.
Grade I winner Vacare, a 4-year-old filly unbeaten in five starts, will be shipped to Hollywood Park for the $300,000 Gamely Breeders' Cup (gr. IT) on May 28, trainer Christophe Clement said Friday from New York.
Trainer Christophe Clement had the first two winners of Saturday's $75,000 Marshua's River for older fillies and mares on the Gulfstream Park grass, but not in the way most expected.
German-bred Meridiana, a disappointment in the United States last year after winning the Italian Oaks (Ity-I) in May, took a big step forward with a front-running victory in the $200,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIT) Sunday at 12 furlongs on the Gulfstream Park turf course.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Diva Express, I'm a Looker Dead Heat at CD
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Enola Gray Passes Two-Turn Test in Melair
- First U.S. Winner for Algorithms
- Exaggerator Carries Delta Jackpot Flag
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Flipcup Resolute in Arlington Matron Win
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont