Prominent United States-based owners Jon and Sarah Kelly secured a Redoute's Choice colt in the first seven-figure transaction of this year's Magic Millions Gold Coast yearling sale Jan. 10 in Queensland.
The Keeneland September yearling sale kept the momentum going during its fourth session, continuing to generate numbers that were encouraging to consignors and sale company officials.
Vacare, winner of the 2006 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup Stakes (gr. IT) and an earner of $1,123,706, has been scratched from the Keeneland November breeding stock sale because of the struggling economy and downturns at many recent Thoroughbred auctions, said the mare's co-owner, Jon Kelly, Oct. 30.
Grade I winner Vacare, a 4-year-old filly unbeaten in five starts, will be shipped to Hollywood Park for the $300,000 Gamely Breeders' Cup (gr. IT) on May 28, trainer Christophe Clement said Friday from New York.
Trainer Christophe Clement had the first two winners of Saturday's $75,000 Marshua's River for older fillies and mares on the Gulfstream Park grass, but not in the way most expected.
German-bred Meridiana, a disappointment in the United States last year after winning the Italian Oaks (Ity-I) in May, took a big step forward with a front-running victory in the $200,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIT) Sunday at 12 furlongs on the Gulfstream Park turf course.
Most Popular Stories
- Jockey Chapa's Fine Increased to $100,000
- Live Chat - Friday, March 6 at NOON EST
- Compromise Possible for Racing in Virginia
- Convictions in Billion-Dollar Bookmaking Case
- Winter Weather Continues to Impact Racing
- Pedigree Analysis: Far From Over
- Scat Daddy Colt Tops Sale at F-T Florida
- Coffee Pot Brews a Good One in Carpe Diem
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Clubhouse Ride Retired to Stud in California