A week after he ran second in an allowance/optional claiming event, Big Chief Racing's Crucero stunned the field in the $150,000 San Juan Capistrano Stakes (gr. IIIT) June 28 at Santa Anita Park.
Stay Forever, who won the WinStar Galaxy Stakes (gr. IIT) at Keeneland in October, has been retired from racing and will become a broodmare for owner Jamie Rizo-Patron's Santa Cruz Ranch.
Stay Forever came from the rear of the pack with a huge rush down the center of the track in the final stages to nip Sand Springs for victory in the $168,300 Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the Churchill Downs turf Saturday.
Stay Forever captured the $150,000 Hollywood Wildcat Breeders' Cup Handicap at Calder Race Course on Saturday, coming from well off the pace and running down the early leaders in the final strides.
Jockey Jose Santos brought Stay Forever from far back to triumph by 1 1/4-length over Cellars Shiraz in the $350,000 Franks Farm Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf Saturday at Gulfstream.
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled