A week after he ran second in an allowance/optional claiming event, Big Chief Racing's Crucero stunned the field in the $150,000 San Juan Capistrano Stakes (gr. IIIT) June 28 at Santa Anita Park.
Stay Forever, who won the WinStar Galaxy Stakes (gr. IIT) at Keeneland in October, has been retired from racing and will become a broodmare for owner Jamie Rizo-Patron's Santa Cruz Ranch.
Stay Forever came from the rear of the pack with a huge rush down the center of the track in the final stages to nip Sand Springs for victory in the $168,300 Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the Churchill Downs turf Saturday.
Stay Forever captured the $150,000 Hollywood Wildcat Breeders' Cup Handicap at Calder Race Course on Saturday, coming from well off the pace and running down the early leaders in the final strides.
Jockey Jose Santos brought Stay Forever from far back to triumph by 1 1/4-length over Cellars Shiraz in the $350,000 Franks Farm Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Turf Saturday at Gulfstream.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake