A sloppy surfaces causes Todd Pletcher to delay the final Derby work of likely favorite Eskendereya until Sunday; Interactif to drill April 25 as well
Zayat Stables' Eskendereya likely solidified himself as the horse to beat in next month's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) by romping past five overmatched rivals in the $750,000 Wood Memorial (gr. I) April 3 at Aqueduct.
Eskendereya shook off Jackson Bend rounding the final turn of the $250,000 Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park and romped home by 8 1/2 lengths under John Velazquez Feb.20.
Eskendereya gave Todd Pletcher a clean sweep of the 2-year-old stakes at Belmont Park Oct. 3 when he split horses coming off the turn and bounded home to an impressive 7 1/4length win in the $154,500 Pilgrim Stakes.
Blazonry, winner of the Laz Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. II) in his last start on May 26, worked six furlongs in a bullet 1:11.60 Sunday at Santa Anita for the $100,000-added Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds June 21 at Hollywood Park.
Sanford Robertson's Blazonry took advantage of a hotly contested pace with a six-wide move from near the rear of the pack to win the $150,000 Lazaro Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old sprinters at Hollywood Park Monday.
After three consecutive days of sharp declines, the Keeneland September yearling sale turned in a solid performance on Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Juvenile Sales Scene Moves West to Barretts
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely