Former trainer Sanford "Sandy" Shulman, who won 804 races during his 29-year career, died June 21 at the age of 78, according to Santa Anita Park publicity.
Pickle, who won the Wilshire Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park by a nose on April 23, stands out among the eight fillies and mares set to start in the $100,000 Yerba Buena Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
Northern California invader Pickle was in deep trouble with jockey Jon Court when graded stakes winner Makeup Artist found room to rally in deep stretch, but the British-bred filly made it to the wire just in time to win the $109,600 Wilshire Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park Saturday.
A field of nine was entered for Sunday's San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap at Santa Anita. At about 1 3/4-mile on turf, it is the longest grade I race in North America.
Irish-bred Champion Lodge took advantage of Santa Anita's yielding turf course Saturday, coming from off the pace to deliver a sharp six-length upset in the $250,000 San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT).
Magic Smoke, Little Bit a Swiss, and Solo Singer among 10 entered for Thursday's race.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- First Black-type Winner for Freshman Havana Gold
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park