A group supporting Bay Meadows Racecourse moved a step closer June 29 to landing a referendum on the November ballot aimed at reversing a San Mateo City Council action allowing redevelopment of the track.
Bay Meadows Race Course supporters said Thursday they'll likely challenge the San Mateo County Registrar of Voters in court after the referendum drive to save the aging track was deemed 136 signatures shy of the number needed to qualify for the June 2006 ballot.
The San Mateo, Calif., City Council has approved a developer's plan to demolish Bay Meadows racetrack, while an earlier announcement the track's landowner is seeking a new site for a racino in the outer Bay Area was met with skepticism by opponents.
Most Popular Stories
- Upstart Fine After Haskell; Travers Next
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- 'Pharoah' Heads Home, Next Race Undecided
- Injured Jockey Luzzi Cleared to Resume Riding
- Lea Tunes Up for Whitney in Workout
- Flashy American, Willow Hills in Groupie Doll
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park
- Medication Among National HBPA Meeting Topics
- Rachel's Valentina Sparkles in Debut
- 'Maria' Upstages Champ Untapable in Shuvee