A group supporting Bay Meadows Racecourse moved a step closer June 29 to landing a referendum on the November ballot aimed at reversing a San Mateo City Council action allowing redevelopment of the track.
Bay Meadows Race Course supporters said Thursday they'll likely challenge the San Mateo County Registrar of Voters in court after the referendum drive to save the aging track was deemed 136 signatures shy of the number needed to qualify for the June 2006 ballot.
The San Mateo, Calif., City Council has approved a developer's plan to demolish Bay Meadows racetrack, while an earlier announcement the track's landowner is seeking a new site for a racino in the outer Bay Area was met with skepticism by opponents.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish Surf Runs Away in Cougar II Marathon
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape
- V. E. Day Gives Lezcano Win 2,000 in Curlin
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Lochte Looks to Regain Form in Oceanport
- Ami's Holiday Leads Prince of Wales Lineup
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys