A group supporting Bay Meadows Racecourse moved a step closer June 29 to landing a referendum on the November ballot aimed at reversing a San Mateo City Council action allowing redevelopment of the track.
Bay Meadows Race Course supporters said Thursday they'll likely challenge the San Mateo County Registrar of Voters in court after the referendum drive to save the aging track was deemed 136 signatures shy of the number needed to qualify for the June 2006 ballot.
The San Mateo, Calif., City Council has approved a developer's plan to demolish Bay Meadows racetrack, while an earlier announcement the track's landowner is seeking a new site for a racino in the outer Bay Area was met with skepticism by opponents.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Chat - Friday, March 7 at NOON EST
- CHRB Issues Advisory for Cobalt Monitoring
- Godolphin Pair Face Off in Maktoum Challenge
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Expanded State-Bred Incentives at Arlington
- First NH Winner for Southwestern Heat
- Palace Malice's Wins to Benefit Research
- Indiana Downs Has New Name as Part of Rebrand