Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif., has noted on its Web site that due to inclement weather, live racing has been cancelled for Monday, Jan. 18.
Jane and Burt Bacharach's 7-year-old gelding One Off, last in the field in upper stretch, charged down the middle of the track to register his first graded stakes win in the $150,000 San Marcos Handicap (g. IIT) on the Santa Anita lawn.
Crafty rider Felipe Martinez milked an easy lead with Irish-bred Whilly and had just enough left to hold off Puppeteer in the $150,000 San Marcos Handicap (gr. IIT) at 1 1/4 miles on the Santa Anita Park turf Saturday.
Bienamado asserted his class in the stretch and earned a victory Saturday in the $150,000 San Marcos Stakes on the turf at Santa Anita Park. In winning the same race his father won at Santa Anita in 1994, Bienamado, a 5-year-old Kentucky-bred son of Bien Bien, paid $2.80, $2.40 and $2.10. Chris McCarron rode the winner at 122 pounds for trainer Paco Gonzalez and owners Trudy McCaffery, John Toffan and Robert Sangster.
Most Popular Stories
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- McCarron: Clarification
- Jockey Gallardo to Try Southern California
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Outwork, Speightster Retire to WinStar
- Borell Enters Alford Plea on Cruelty Charges
- TOBA October Member of the Month
- Santa Anita Installs Barn Surveillance System