Trainer Bob Baffert sent out a pair of 3-year-olds Wednesday morning. Mountain Rage went 1:11 2/5 and Puerto Banus went 1:10 4/5.
Trainer Bob Baffert is preparing Mike Pegram's Danthebluegrassman for a start in the March 17 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Just over a week ago, the clouds over the Derby trail were so thick, everyone was fumbling along in the dark, trying to get even the slightest glimpse of the Twin Spires. Now, all of the sudden, the clouds have lifted and the stars are shining brightly. First Monarchos lit up the sky in the Florida Derby. And at Santa Anita this past Saturday, two more stars emerged, as visible against the night sky as the top of Bob Baffert's head.
It wasn't supposed to happen quite like this. There was nobody breathing down his neck. There was no target to home in on. All that remained up ahead was a quarter-mile of sun-baked Santa Anita dirt. With a quartet of weary rivals to his inside, Point Given, five wide and coasting, was in control of his own destiny. Atop the massive colt, Gary Stevens could sense an urgency. He felt Point Given waiting, pleading to be let loose. Turning for home in the $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) on March 17, Stevens shortened his cross, putting the bit firmly in his colt's mouth. For Point Given, it was a cue to roll. His response was emphatic.
Leading Kentucky Derby (gr. I) candidate Point Given worked seven furlongs at 1:24 4/5 at Santa Anita on Friday just before the first race. "I clocked him 1:23 3/5, going out a mile in 1:37 3/5," said trainer Bob Baffert. Dana Barnes was aboard the son of Thunder Gulch, who is pointing for the March 17 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- And They're Off: The End of the Trail Edition
- Illinois Gaming Plans Would Slice Racing Aid
- Stronach Takes Stand on Integrity Reforms
- Midnight Hawk Brings Illinois Derby Intrigue
- Regulators Begin Asmussen Investigations
- Dude Back On Game for Charles Town Classic
- Street Boss Colt Among Top OBS Day 2 Workers
- Eight Rivals Try Kid Cruz in Federico Tesio