Sahara Sky, benefitting once again by a super-hot pace, flew home on the outside to capture the $200,750 San Carlos Stakes Feb. 23 for his second grade II stakes win in a row at Santa Anita Park.
Top sprinter The Lumber Guy, looking to rebound from a disappointing performance in the Malibu Stakes (gr. I), is part of a well-balanced field for the $200,000 San Carlos Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 23 at Santa Anita Park.
Malibu Stakes winner Jimmy Creed, who was being pointed to the San Carlos Stakes after missing the Strub Stakes on Feb. 2 due to a cough, will miss the San Carlos on Feb. 23 due to the same malady.
Beholder, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2012, likely had an excuse when she was second in her sophomore debut Jan. 21 as the 1-5 favorite in the Santa Ynez Stakes (gr. II).
The Factor, making his seasonal debut in the $200,000 San Carlos Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 25, started his 2012 campaign the same way he finished up last year, winning at seven furlongs on Santa Anita's main track.
Male sprint champion Amazombie, nearing his first start of the year later this month, turned in his second bullet move in a week at Santa Anita Feb. 10 when he worked six furlongs handily in 1:12 2/5.
Amazombie, the 2011 Eclipse Award-winning male sprinter, topped the Santa Anita work tab Feb. 3 with a handy six-furlong drill in 1:12 flat as he nears his initial start of the year.
With overnight rain causing Santa Anita's main track to be sealed, Eclipse Award sprint champion Amazombie was scratched on the morning of Jan. 21 from the Palos Verdes Stakes (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- Glorious Days Closes to Win HK Mile
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in HK Vase
- Akeed Mofeed Takes Hong Kong Cup
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush