Siren Lure, whose three consecutive sprint stakes wins last year included the Triple Bend Invitational Handicap (gr. I), is pointing for the Feb. 17 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Favored Surf Cat unleashed a huge move on the turn for jockey Alex Solis and swept past the field to romp to victory in the $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Saturday.
Three entrants who have distinguished themselves in distance races, Congrats, Imperialism and Surf Cat, will have to deal with a pair of sharp and improving 5-year-old sprinters in Major Success and Jet West at seven furlongs in Santa Anita's $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) on Saturday.
Robert Bone's Choctaw Nation, who has not started since suffering his only career loss in the Pacific Classic (gr. I) at Del Mar six months ago, has been entered in Saturday's $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) over seven furlongs at Santa Anita.
The weight woes affecting the Southern California handicaps continued Tuesday when trainer Bruce Headly declared champion Kona Gold from consideration for Sunday's San Carlos Handicap (gr. I) after the 9-year-old gelding was assigned top weight of 121 pounds for the seven-furlong test.
A field of eight has entered Sunday's $150,000 San Carlos Handicap for older horses sprinting seven furlongs. The San Carlos has been upgraded to grade I status by the graded stakes committee for 2001. Kona Gold will carry high weight of 125 pounds, spotting the field from 11 to 14 pounds and will break from outside post No. 8 under regular rider Alex Solis.
Most Popular Stories
- Bettys Bambino Wins Daytona in Stakes Debut
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Posse Offspring Take Pair of NY-Bred Stakes
- Cowtown Cat Moves to Ohio's Mapleton for 2015
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely