A warrant has been issued in a California county for the arrest of jockey Patrick Valenzuela, who failed to appear at a recent hearing associated with a charge against him for driving under the influence.
Star Cross can atone for a dismal effort in the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) last month, heading a field of seven in the $100,000 San Bernardino Handicap (gr. III) at Santa Anita Saturday.
When jockey Chris McCarron booted home Seinne a half-length winner in the $150,000 Arcadia Handicap (gr. IIT), he became the first rider in Santa Anita Park history to ride three graded stakes winner on the same card. Previously on the day, McCarron was in the irons for graded stakes wins in the San Bernardino Handicap (gr. II) and Santa Anita Derby (gr. I).
Trainer Paco Gonzalez hopes to set the stage for his own daily double Saturday at Santa Anita Park. He'll start by winning the $200,000 San Bernardino Handicap (gr. II) with Bosque Redondo, then two races later cap off his day by taking the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) with probable favorite Came Home.
Futural earned his first graded stakes win Saturday, upsetting the field in the $150,000 San Bernardino Handicap (gr. II) on a sloppy track at Santa Anita.
Not to be overlooked on Santa Anita Derby day will be Tribunal's return in the grade II San Bernardino Handicap for older horses at 1 1/8 miles. As part of a graded-stakes tripleheader on Derby Day, the San Bernardino has attracted the third and fourth place finishers from the March 3 Big 'Cap in Tribunal, conditioned by Bob Baffert, and the John Dolan-trained Irisheyesareflying.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Mokat Surges to San Clemente Victory
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis