Bohemia Stable's Shine Again, ridden by Jean-Luc Samyn, caught Dream Supreme in the final strides to win by a head in the $150,000 First Flight Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares.
Though trainer Allen Jerkens may not like his "Giant Killer" nickname, the moniker is unlikely to go away as long as he keeps sending out high-priced winners in high-class races. Jerkens struck again Sunday when jockey Jean-Luc Samyn guided Shine Again through a gap along the rail at the top of the stretch and held off a late run from Country Hideaway to win Sunday's $250,000 Ballerina Handicap (gr. I) at Saratoga.
Jayeff B Stables' Navesink rebounded from his lone career defeat to win Sunday's $249,000 Kent Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Delaware Park. Earlier on the card, John's Call began his 10-year-old campaign the same way he started his 2000 season, with a victory in the $69,100 Cape Henlopen Overnight Handicap.
Champion Caressing and the lightly raced Victory Ride are being pointed toward the $200,000 Acorn (gr. I, June 8) by their respective connections.
Arthur I. Appleton's homebred Forbidden Apple collared pacesetter Affirmed Success in the stretch en route to winning the $250,000 Kelso Handicap (gr. IIT) by a neck Sunday at Belmont Park.
Age proved no impediment to 9-year-old gelding John's Call, who led all the way Saturday in the $750,000 Turf Classic Invitational (gr. IT) at Belmont Park. Jean-Luc Samyn was the winning rider in both of the day's premier turf events, taking both the Turf Classic and the co-featured Flower Bowl Handicap (gr. IT).
Under rainy conditions, Philip Johnson trainee Storm Dream drew off to a 5 1/2 length win in the $140,000 Boiling Springs Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) Monday at Meadowlands.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- What's Going On Here: Beyond Imagination
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness