Mr Speaker, ignored at odds of 23-1, charged along the inside to overtake favored Adelaide by a head for a major upset in the $1.25 million Belmont Derby Invitational (gr. IT) on the inner turf course July 5 at Belmont Park.
Phipps Stables' homebred Mr Speaker took to the Polytrack like a fish to water April 19, skipping home in the $200,000 Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. III) in his first try on the synthetic stuff.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES
If Mr Speaker is to follow in Orb's footsteps, he will have to make the switch from turf to dirt at some point, and according to his trainer that switch may come as soon as his next start.
Phipps Stable's Mr Speaker found a rail seam and skimmed to a 10-1 surprise in the $100,000 Dania Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) Dec. 21 at Gulfstream Park.
After two worthy but losing efforts in grade I company, Sis City found the competition in Saturday's Demoiselle (gr. II) Stakes to her liking, rolling to a 3-3/4 length front-end victory for Aqueduct's leading trainer, Richard Dutrow Jr.
Sis City, owned in part by New York Yankees manager Joe Torre, is the filly to beat in Saturday's $200,000 Demoiselle (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at 1 1/8 miles.
Summer Raven went to the front, set all of the fractions and drew off to win the 29th running of the $104,600 Tempted (gr. III), co-feature on Tuesday's Election Day card at Aqueduct.
Salute, a 2-year-old daughter of Unbridled out of the undefeated champion Personal Ensign, ran an encouraging second as the 4-5 favorite in her debut Sunday at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap