Danon Platina wrapped up Japan's champion 2-year-old male honors when capturing the Asahi Hai Futurity Stakes (Jpn-I) by three lengths Dec. 21 at Hanshin.
Apapane spoiled Buena Vista's quest for a repeat success in the $2.2 million Victoria Mile (Jpn-I), taking the lead with 50 meters to run and holding off the the powerful charge of the favorite by a neck at Tokyo May 15.
The first dead heat in a grade I race in Japanese history took place May 23 when favored Apapane and Saint Emilion battled to a draw in the $2.2 million Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks) at a rainy and soggy Tokyo Racecourse.
Favored Apapane overtook pacesetter Oken Sakura in the final strides to claim the 70th running of the Oka Sho (Jpn-I), Japan's equivalent of the English One Thousand Guineas at Hanshin Racecourse April 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- International Star Sweeps to LA Derby Score
- I'm a Chatterbox Notches Easy FG Oaks Victory
- Champion Groupie Doll Delivers Premature Foal
- Birdatthewire Tops Familiar Rivals in GP Oaks
- Beauty Parlor Wins U.S. Debut in Orchid
- The Big Beast, 3YOs Prep for Wood Day Starts
- Streaking Chocolate Ride Wires Mervin Muniz