Danon Platina wrapped up Japan's champion 2-year-old male honors when capturing the Asahi Hai Futurity Stakes (Jpn-I) by three lengths Dec. 21 at Hanshin.
Apapane spoiled Buena Vista's quest for a repeat success in the $2.2 million Victoria Mile (Jpn-I), taking the lead with 50 meters to run and holding off the the powerful charge of the favorite by a neck at Tokyo May 15.
The first dead heat in a grade I race in Japanese history took place May 23 when favored Apapane and Saint Emilion battled to a draw in the $2.2 million Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks) at a rainy and soggy Tokyo Racecourse.
Favored Apapane overtook pacesetter Oken Sakura in the final strides to claim the 70th running of the Oka Sho (Jpn-I), Japan's equivalent of the English One Thousand Guineas at Hanshin Racecourse April 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm