Danon Platina wrapped up Japan's champion 2-year-old male honors when capturing the Asahi Hai Futurity Stakes (Jpn-I) by three lengths Dec. 21 at Hanshin.
Apapane spoiled Buena Vista's quest for a repeat success in the $2.2 million Victoria Mile (Jpn-I), taking the lead with 50 meters to run and holding off the the powerful charge of the favorite by a neck at Tokyo May 15.
The first dead heat in a grade I race in Japanese history took place May 23 when favored Apapane and Saint Emilion battled to a draw in the $2.2 million Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks) at a rainy and soggy Tokyo Racecourse.
Favored Apapane overtook pacesetter Oken Sakura in the final strides to claim the 70th running of the Oka Sho (Jpn-I), Japan's equivalent of the English One Thousand Guineas at Hanshin Racecourse April 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Putting Uncle Mo in Perspective
- Magee Clinches Training Title at Pimlico