Apapane spoiled Buena Vista's quest for a repeat success in the $2.2 million Victoria Mile (Jpn-I), taking the lead with 50 meters to run and holding off the the powerful charge of the favorite by a neck at Tokyo May 15.
The first dead heat in a grade I race in Japanese history took place May 23 when favored Apapane and Saint Emilion battled to a draw in the $2.2 million Yushun Himba (Japanese Oaks) at a rainy and soggy Tokyo Racecourse.
Favored Apapane overtook pacesetter Oken Sakura in the final strides to claim the 70th running of the Oka Sho (Jpn-I), Japan's equivalent of the English One Thousand Guineas at Hanshin Racecourse April 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Sweeping New Drug Rules Approved in New York
- Hoppertunity Gets Churchill Chance in Clark
- Old Friends Sets Open House for Silver Charm
- 32 Horses Die in Chicago-Area Stable Fire
- Salute the Sarge to E.A. Ranches in Calif.
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- Don't Tell Sophia Leads Falls City Handicap
- Easter Gift Takes Unusual Path Back to Clark
- Big Macher Shows Star Quality in Cary Grant
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3