Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin will be one of perhaps 100,000 people attending Pimlico Racecourse Saturday for the 130th Preakness (gr. I), but sometime around 4:40 p.m., he will sneak away from the festivities to watch his mare Saintliness race in the $200,000 Shuvee Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park.
Winless in 19 starts at Gulfstream Park this winter, trainer Shug McGaughey came back to Aqueduct March 19 to win with three of his four starters, including Survivalist in the Gotham (gr. III). Friday afternoon, McGaughey added another stakes win to his resume when the Phipps Stable's favored Daydreaming captured the $110,000 Next Move Handicap (gr. III).
Friel's For Real shoots for the second graded stakes win of her career in Friday's $100,000-added Next Move Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares at nine furlongs on Aqueduct's main track.
Stronach Stables' lightly raced Saintliness kept her record spotless Saturday at Aqueduct, getting the jump on six rivals and winning the $81,275 Affectionately Handicap for fillies and mares by three-quarters of a length over Miss Fortunate.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Alert Bay Holds Tough in San Francisco Mile
- Ward Sends Three Fillies in Kentucky Juvenile
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze