A rule amendment requiring that any person mounted on horseback, riding in a sulky or working as a member of the starting gate crew must wear a safety helmet was passed by the California Horse Racing Board.
A committee of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has approved a proposed regulation that would mandate safety helmets be worn by all licensed personnel--including exercise riders and trainers during morning training times--at all of the state's tracks.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority will begin enforcing a rule which requires all jockey helmets to meet the standards of the American Society for Testing and Materials. The enforcement will begin at the Sept. 6 opening of Turfway Park.
Jockeys would be required to wear safety helmets and flak jackets during races and workouts under legislation approved June 22 by the Delaware House of Representatives.
Most Popular Stories
- Belle Gallantey Steals Delaware Handicap
- Featured Horse Profile: Ben's Cat
- Doinghardtimeagain Grinds Out Great Lady M.
- Empire Dreams Lands New York Derby
- Shakin It Up Retired, To Stand at Spendthrift
- The Pizza Man Gets Dough in Stars and Stripes
- Closing Divine Oath Snatches American Derby
- Arlington Lover I'm Already Sexy Aces Modesty
- Finnegans Wake Gets Nod in Arlington 'Cap
- Starspangledbanner to Return to Coolmore