A rule amendment requiring that any person mounted on horseback, riding in a sulky or working as a member of the starting gate crew must wear a safety helmet was passed by the California Horse Racing Board.
A committee of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has approved a proposed regulation that would mandate safety helmets be worn by all licensed personnel--including exercise riders and trainers during morning training times--at all of the state's tracks.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority will begin enforcing a rule which requires all jockey helmets to meet the standards of the American Society for Testing and Materials. The enforcement will begin at the Sept. 6 opening of Turfway Park.
- By Tom LaMarra
Jockeys would be required to wear safety helmets and flak jackets during races and workouts under legislation approved June 22 by the Delaware House of Representatives.
Most Popular Stories
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Distorted Humor Filly Brings $575,000 at OBS
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017