A rule amendment requiring that any person mounted on horseback, riding in a sulky or working as a member of the starting gate crew must wear a safety helmet was passed by the California Horse Racing Board.
A committee of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has approved a proposed regulation that would mandate safety helmets be worn by all licensed personnel--including exercise riders and trainers during morning training times--at all of the state's tracks.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority will begin enforcing a rule which requires all jockey helmets to meet the standards of the American Society for Testing and Materials. The enforcement will begin at the Sept. 6 opening of Turfway Park.
- By Tom LaMarra
Jockeys would be required to wear safety helmets and flak jackets during races and workouts under legislation approved June 22 by the Delaware House of Representatives.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Creator, Gun Runner Work in Saratoga
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Gift Box, Connect, Swipe Entered in Curlin
- NY Alters Rules on Claims, Some Medications
- OK-Bred GI Winner Clever Trevor Dies at 31