Ralph Scurfield, who served more than eight years on the California Horse Racing Board from January 1991 through September 1999, died Tuesday, Oct. 15 in a Sacramento hospital at the age of 85.
For the first time in four years, the Thoroughbreds are coming back to Cal Expo.
The California Horse Racing Board plans to eliminate 12 Thoroughbred racing dates this summer that belonged to the state fair and reduce the number of competing Northern California dates by four days.
Track operator Capitol Racing, which decided to walk away from its harness meet in Sacramento, is moving on – to Idaho and other breeds.
Most Popular Stories
- The Great War No Longer Pursuing Derby
- Field Favored at Close of Derby Wager Pool 3
- Rebel Still Possibilty for Take Charge Brandi
- Far From Over Interest Sold, Wood Next
- The Big Beast Sharp in Winning Return
- Dortmund, Lord Nelson Set for San Felipe
- Daredevil Still Ready for Rescheduled Swale
- Cavalryman Dies After Injury at Meydan
- El Kabeir Breezes for Gotham
- French Group I Winner Creator Dies at 29