Ralph Scurfield, who served more than eight years on the California Horse Racing Board from January 1991 through September 1999, died Tuesday, Oct. 15 in a Sacramento hospital at the age of 85.
For the first time in four years, the Thoroughbreds are coming back to Cal Expo.
- By Jack Shinar
The California Horse Racing Board plans to eliminate 12 Thoroughbred racing dates this summer that belonged to the state fair and reduce the number of competing Northern California dates by four days.
Track operator Capitol Racing, which decided to walk away from its harness meet in Sacramento, is moving on – to Idaho and other breeds.
Most Popular Stories
- Gainesway's Tapizar Has First Winner
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Pegasus World Cup: A Jolt of Reality
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Miller Promoted at Millennium Farms
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware