Ralph Scurfield, who served more than eight years on the California Horse Racing Board from January 1991 through September 1999, died Tuesday, Oct. 15 in a Sacramento hospital at the age of 85.
For the first time in four years, the Thoroughbreds are coming back to Cal Expo.
- By Jack Shinar
The California Horse Racing Board plans to eliminate 12 Thoroughbred racing dates this summer that belonged to the state fair and reduce the number of competing Northern California dates by four days.
Track operator Capitol Racing, which decided to walk away from its harness meet in Sacramento, is moving on – to Idaho and other breeds.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Tapits Dominate Fasig-Tipton Pinhook Prospects
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award