After a brief freshening, Germania Farms' Abbondanza roared back into action with a victory in the $85,000 Fire Plug Stakes for older horses on Martin Luther King Day Monday at Laurel Park.
Danny A. Limongelli's Banjo Picker, dismissed at odds of 47-1 though he had won four of nine starts this year, won the $112,000 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct in an exciting three-horse photo finish Sunday.
A field of 11 familiar sprinters, including Spooky Mulder and Clever Electrician, are set for Sunday's $100,000-added Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct on the last day of live racing in New York until Dec. 28.
Erdenheim Farm's Play Bingo went from last to first to win the $250,000 Maryland Million Classic Saturday at Laurel Park, the centerpiece of a day of stakes races for the progeny of Maryland breds.
After being rained out Oct. 8, the 20th Maryland Million is set to go Saturday at Laurel Park with Presidentialaffair and Aggadan headlining a $250,000 Classic field. The day also features six horses who won last year back to defend their titles.
Eric and Albert Wirth's Honorable Man stormed past the field to win the $83,500 Charles H. Hadry Stakes Saturday at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Morning-Line Pick in Wide-Open Haskell
- Fayeq Impresses in Saratoga Allowance Victory
- Stellar Wind, Vale Dori Face Off Again in Hirsch
- Into the Gray Brings Graydar First Winner
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- Look Back: Bernardini's Dandy Score at Saratoga
- Ascend, Bigger Picture to Clash in Bowling Green