After a brief freshening, Germania Farms' Abbondanza roared back into action with a victory in the $85,000 Fire Plug Stakes for older horses on Martin Luther King Day Monday at Laurel Park.
Danny A. Limongelli's Banjo Picker, dismissed at odds of 47-1 though he had won four of nine starts this year, won the $112,000 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct in an exciting three-horse photo finish Sunday.
A field of 11 familiar sprinters, including Spooky Mulder and Clever Electrician, are set for Sunday's $100,000-added Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct on the last day of live racing in New York until Dec. 28.
Erdenheim Farm's Play Bingo went from last to first to win the $250,000 Maryland Million Classic Saturday at Laurel Park, the centerpiece of a day of stakes races for the progeny of Maryland breds.
After being rained out Oct. 8, the 20th Maryland Million is set to go Saturday at Laurel Park with Presidentialaffair and Aggadan headlining a $250,000 Classic field. The day also features six horses who won last year back to defend their titles.
Eric and Albert Wirth's Honorable Man stormed past the field to win the $83,500 Charles H. Hadry Stakes Saturday at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies