After a brief freshening, Germania Farms' Abbondanza roared back into action with a victory in the $85,000 Fire Plug Stakes for older horses on Martin Luther King Day Monday at Laurel Park.
Danny A. Limongelli's Banjo Picker, dismissed at odds of 47-1 though he had won four of nine starts this year, won the $112,000 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct in an exciting three-horse photo finish Sunday.
A field of 11 familiar sprinters, including Spooky Mulder and Clever Electrician, are set for Sunday's $100,000-added Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct on the last day of live racing in New York until Dec. 28.
Erdenheim Farm's Play Bingo went from last to first to win the $250,000 Maryland Million Classic Saturday at Laurel Park, the centerpiece of a day of stakes races for the progeny of Maryland breds.
After being rained out Oct. 8, the 20th Maryland Million is set to go Saturday at Laurel Park with Presidentialaffair and Aggadan headlining a $250,000 Classic field. The day also features six horses who won last year back to defend their titles.
Eric and Albert Wirth's Honorable Man stormed past the field to win the $83,500 Charles H. Hadry Stakes Saturday at Laurel Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013