The drunken driver who caused a crash that severed the arm of a groom for Lava Man, the richest claiming horse in Thoroughbred racing history, was sentenced Oct. 4 to five years in state prison.
How amazing is Lava Man? Absolutely invincible in California over the past two seasons on turf and dirt, the 6-year-old gelding became the third horse in 70 years to win back-to-back runnings of the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic
- Collected Impresses Again in Californian
- Stormy Liberal Wins Third Straight Stakes