Shirley and Jerrold Schwartz' 10-year-old multi-millionaire gelding Cloudy's Knight , who sustained a tendon injury in a April 19 workout, may be retired from racing, according to Daily Racing Form.
Already having had the best season of racing as a 9-year-old, Cloudy's Knight put an exclamation point on 2009 with a 1 1/4-length victory Dec. 26 in the Calder's W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT).
The gritty 9-year-old Cloudy's Knight surrendered the lead to Eagle Poise but fought back along the inside to win the 1 3/4-mile Valedictory Stakes by one length on closing day of the 167-day Woodbine meet Dec. 6.
Cloudy's Knight, moving in tandem with favorite Winchester during a big stretch move, caught Yate's Black Cat just before the wire to win the $125,000 Sycamore (gr. IIIT) by a head Oct. 22 at Keeneland.
S J Stables' 9-year-old gelding Cloudy's Knight felt no effects of a more than one year layoff, as he took over in upper stretch and cruised to a comfortable 2 1/2-length win in the $150,000 Kentucky Cup Turf (gr. IIIT) Sept. 19 at Kentucky Downs.
Cloudy's Knight won his second consecutive race at Woodbine, a nose victory over Ask in the $2-million Pattison Canadian International (Can-I) Oct. 21.
Cloudy's Knight created a mild surprise in the $198,500 Fair Grounds Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf Saturday, slipping through between rivals to win by a neck over Devilment under a well timed ride by Ramsey Zimmerman.
Most Popular Stories
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Del Mar to Pay Out Consolations for Pick 6
- End of Road for ‘Claiming Rule’ Challenge
- Woolf Award Finalists Announced
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Casse Mulls Derby Path for Classic Empire
- Thoroughbred Makeover Accepting Applications
- Greatbullsoffire Tops Futurity
- Bowman Wins Hong Kong Jockey Championship
- Innovative Wagers Help Racetracks with Handle