Rutledge Farm was back in the winner's circle Charles Town Classic night for the third straight year, but not with its homebred Researcher.
Kinross Corp.'s Researcher again played to the home crowd at Charles Town Races & Slots April 17 with a repeat victory in the Charles Town Classic, one of the richest races in the country for older horses.
The winner of the inaugural Charles Town Classic in 2009 seems well on his way to making a bid for top honors again this year.
Hermen Greenberg, breeder of 1993 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Colonial Affair, died Feb. 28.
Researcher comes into the $100,000 Queens County off a losing effort but trainer Jeff Runco is still confident his charge is the one to beat.
A combination of talent and home-field advantage helped Researcher produce a powerful victory in the inaugural Charles Town Classic at Charles Town Races & Slots the evening of April 18. And he vanquished a few grade I winners in the process.
Red-hot Researcher took his jump into graded stakes company in stride by winning the $108,400 Queens County Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct Dec. 13 for his fourth consecutive victory.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Hard Aces Too Tough in Cougar II
- Nyquist Logs Final Work for Haskell
- Up With the Birds Back Winning at Woodbine
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Beholder Brilliant in Del Mar Breeze
- Destin Remains On Track for Jim Dandy