Rutledge Farm was back in the winner's circle Charles Town Classic night for the third straight year, but not with its homebred Researcher.
Kinross Corp.'s Researcher again played to the home crowd at Charles Town Races & Slots April 17 with a repeat victory in the Charles Town Classic, one of the richest races in the country for older horses.
The winner of the inaugural Charles Town Classic in 2009 seems well on his way to making a bid for top honors again this year.
Hermen Greenberg, breeder of 1993 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Colonial Affair, died Feb. 28.
Researcher comes into the $100,000 Queens County off a losing effort but trainer Jeff Runco is still confident his charge is the one to beat.
A combination of talent and home-field advantage helped Researcher produce a powerful victory in the inaugural Charles Town Classic at Charles Town Races & Slots the evening of April 18. And he vanquished a few grade I winners in the process.
Red-hot Researcher took his jump into graded stakes company in stride by winning the $108,400 Queens County Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct Dec. 13 for his fourth consecutive victory.
Most Popular Stories
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Desormeaux Failed Breathalyzer at Del Mar
- Untapable Looks for Shuvee Relief
- First Winners for Pair of Louisiana Stallions
- Gimme Da Lute Brings Class to Real Good Deal
- Emerald Downs to Unveil New Video Screen
- Protonico Heads Monmouth Cup Stakes Cast
- His Race to Win Seeking Repeat in Seagram Cup