Eclipse Award winner and former leading California stallion Bertrando succumbed naturally to infirmities of old age March 27 at River Edge Farm, longtime farm manager Russell Drake confirmed.
Bertrando, a champion on the racetrack and a leading California sire, has been retired from stud duty after standing in 2011 at Don Cohn's Ballena Vista Farm near Ramona, Calif.
Marty and Pam Wygod will disperse their California bloodstock at Barretts this coming October and eventually plan to sell their River Edge Farm near Buellton.
The Tin Man, who has spent the last several months recovering from a fractured knee at Santa Anita Park, has been sent to Martin and Pam Wygod's River Edge Farm near Buellton, Calif., for his retirement.
Millionaire Tranquility Lake, who was scheduled to run in the Dec. 15 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park, was retired prior to the race and will begin life as a broodmare for owners Martin and Pam Wygod.
Most Popular Stories
- Indiana Grand Reports Increased Wagering
- Bell to Head Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Canterbury Park Announces 2015 Stakes Slate
- Aussie Sale Buyers Can Request Steroid Test
- Court Decision Threatens Illinois Racing
- Newsmakers of 2014
- RCI Request Would Change RMTC's Current Role
- Cancer Takes Hillary Farish Stratton