Eclipse Award winner and former leading California stallion Bertrando succumbed naturally to infirmities of old age March 27 at River Edge Farm, longtime farm manager Russell Drake confirmed.
Bertrando, a champion on the racetrack and a leading California sire, has been retired from stud duty after standing in 2011 at Don Cohn's Ballena Vista Farm near Ramona, Calif.
Marty and Pam Wygod will disperse their California bloodstock at Barretts this coming October and eventually plan to sell their River Edge Farm near Buellton.
The Tin Man, who has spent the last several months recovering from a fractured knee at Santa Anita Park, has been sent to Martin and Pam Wygod's River Edge Farm near Buellton, Calif., for his retirement.
Millionaire Tranquility Lake, who was scheduled to run in the Dec. 15 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park, was retired prior to the race and will begin life as a broodmare for owners Martin and Pam Wygod.
Most Popular Stories
- Speedy Moreno Dangerous Again in Woodward
- Indicators Drop at Ocala August Yearling Sale
- Santa Anita's Main Track to Reopen Sept. 2
- Target on Wise Dan for Bernard Baruch Return
- Sunset Glow Has Experience Edge in Debutante
- Solis Returns to California to Ride Full Time
- Gains Posted as Doncaster Premier Sale Ends
- Kentucky Considers Allowing Salix-Free Races
- Miss Behaviour Cuts Back for Prioress Run
- Tritap, a Son of Tapit, to Heritage Stallions