Eclipse Award winner and former leading California stallion Bertrando succumbed naturally to infirmities of old age March 27 at River Edge Farm, longtime farm manager Russell Drake confirmed.
Bertrando, a champion on the racetrack and a leading California sire, has been retired from stud duty after standing in 2011 at Don Cohn's Ballena Vista Farm near Ramona, Calif.
Marty and Pam Wygod will disperse their California bloodstock at Barretts this coming October and eventually plan to sell their River Edge Farm near Buellton.
The Tin Man, who has spent the last several months recovering from a fractured knee at Santa Anita Park, has been sent to Martin and Pam Wygod's River Edge Farm near Buellton, Calif., for his retirement.
Millionaire Tranquility Lake, who was scheduled to run in the Dec. 15 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park, was retired prior to the race and will begin life as a broodmare for owners Martin and Pam Wygod.
Most Popular Stories
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks