Eclipse Award winner and former leading California stallion Bertrando succumbed naturally to infirmities of old age March 27 at River Edge Farm, longtime farm manager Russell Drake confirmed.
Bertrando, a champion on the racetrack and a leading California sire, has been retired from stud duty after standing in 2011 at Don Cohn's Ballena Vista Farm near Ramona, Calif.
Marty and Pam Wygod will disperse their California bloodstock at Barretts this coming October and eventually plan to sell their River Edge Farm near Buellton.
The Tin Man, who has spent the last several months recovering from a fractured knee at Santa Anita Park, has been sent to Martin and Pam Wygod's River Edge Farm near Buellton, Calif., for his retirement.
Millionaire Tranquility Lake, who was scheduled to run in the Dec. 15 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park, was retired prior to the race and will begin life as a broodmare for owners Martin and Pam Wygod.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Macher Shows Star Quality in Cary Grant
- Tom's Tribute Tops Talented Seabiscuit Cast
- Don't Tell Sophia Leads Fall City Handicap
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- East Gift Takes Unusual Path Back to Clark
- Calgary Cat Sizzles in Kennedy Road Triumph
- Shipper Holiday Star Faces 10 in Turf Cup
- Danon Shark Wins Mile Championship Thriller
- Hushion Seeks 'Wand for Princess Violet
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3