King's Bishop (gr. I) winner Pomeroy is a mild 4-1 favorite in the $200,000-added Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), which drew a full field of 12 going seven furlongs Saturday.
Stablemate Perfect Moon ensured a blazing pace and late charging Harvard Avenue took care of the rest, winning the $200,000 Potrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for sprinters and capping a four-stakes weekend for hot trainer Doug O'Neill.
Leading trainer Doug O'Neill saddles two contenders in Sunday's contentious Potrero Grande Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) for older sprinters at Santa Anita.
Domestic Dispute, who returned from a four-month layoff with a solid second-place finish in the Pat O'Brien Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) last month, heads a field of seven milers in Sunday's $250,000 Del Mar Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II).
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens is expected to be back in the Del Mar jockeys' room on Friday ready to resume his role among the leaders of the Southern California riding contingent.
Disturbingthepeace, one of the leading sprinters in California at this time a year ago, flashed some of his former brilliance with a front-running victory in the $150,000 Pat O'Brien Handicap (gr. II) at Del Mar Sunday.
Racing wide throughout, Michael Tabor's Pass Rush proved to be much the best in Saturday's $219,600 San Fernando Stakes (gr. II) for 4-year-olds at Santa Anita.
Jockey Alex Solis likes what he sees in Rushin' To Altar, a $485,000 Kentucky-bred son of Pulpit he'll be riding in Saturday's $200,000 San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) for 4-year-olds at 1 1/16 mile at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala