"The Ruhlmann"," the sixth and final chapeau offered in the "Hats Off to the Horses: The Road to the Derby" online fashion auction of exclusive Kentucky Derby Hats, is scheduled to go on the auction block April 1.
Old Friends, the Thoroughbred retirement facility in Georgetown, Ky., will hold a commemorative service Memorial Day, May 31, for eight retirees that passed away in the last year.
Ruhlmann, the seven-time stakes-winning stallion and winner of the 1990 Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I), died Dec. 24 at the age of 23, Old Friends owner Michael Blowen said.
Old Friends, a Thoroughbred retirement facility based near Lexington, will be featured in a segment on the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric June 7th. This is the first news piece about Old Friends to appear in a national broadcast.
Ruhlmann, an eight-time stakes winner who earned better than $1.8 million, has arrived at Alfred Nuckols Jr.'s Hurstland Farm near Midway, Ky., as part of the Old Friends retirement program.
Old Friends, the Thoroughbred retirement program based in Midway, Ky., announced the arrival of Bonnie's Poker and expects the arrival of Ruhlmann in the next few days, according to president Michael Blowen.
With three straight Eclipse Awards, Brooklyn-born trainer Bobby Frankel has been the master of all he has surveyed. Last year, his runners earned more than $17.7 million and he won 14 grade I races. But one has always eluded him: the Florida Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Minding Leads Sweep in One Thousand Guineas
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- Maurice, Chautauqua Victorious in Hong Kong
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas