Black Fighter became the first Azerbaijani-bred winner in the U.S. when the 3-year-old colt captured a maiden claiming test as the favorite Jan. 19 at Turfway Park.
Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens rode the first winner of his newly-launched comeback Jan. 12, getting the job done aboard Glen Hill Farm's Branding at Santa Anita Park.
J. W. Singer's Teeth of the Dog ran like an even-money favorite should, gamely holding off a late challenge from Fast Falcon to take the $200,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. II) June 30 at Belmont Park.
Teeth of the Dog, a 15-1 shot for the May 19 Preakness Stakes (gr. I), was bred by a farm with roots in Azerbaijan.
The first reported foal by dual champion Lookin At Lucky is a filly born Jan. 16 at Royal Pegasus near Lexington.
Don Gato, a 5-year-old son of Storm Cat, will stand in 2012 at Royal Pegasus near Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile