The Chilean-bred Total Impact rewarded the constant faith in him displayed by trainer Laura de Seroux, ending a seven-race losing streak with an upset victory in the $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Even the Score, a 6-year-old roan gelding who has soared to national prominence during Hollywood Park's spring/summer meet, is the 6-5 favorite in Saturday's 65th running of the $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I).
Even the Score, the probable favorite for the $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) on Saturday, completed drills for the 1 1/4-mile race with a five-furlong work in 1:00 Monday at Hollywood Park.
Funny Cide, winner of the 2003 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes (both gr. I), and Even The Score, winner of the 2004 Meryvn LeRoy Handicap and Californian (both gr. II), head a list of 12 nominations to the $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) on July 10.
Hollywood Park's first race Monday is the $150,000 Lazaro Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. II), the first of three graded stakes on the track's holiday card.
The Thoroughbred Corporation's homebred Popular was headed in the stretch by 13-10 favorite Roman Dancer, then fought back to the lead under jockey Victor Espinoza to win Sunday's $107,900 San Miguel Stakes (gr. III) by a nose at Santa Anita.
Trainer Howard Zucker is uncertain whether Bringem Jung, a third-place finished in a Santa Anita allowance race Dec. 26 won by Werblin, will make his next start in the San Miguel Stakes on Sunday or wait until Wednesday for an allowance race. One more likely for the San Miguel is Sunny Slope Stakes winner Roman Dancer.
Most Popular Stories
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Court Rules Borells Have No Claim on Horses
- Songbird Works Fast and Easy at Santa Anita
- Malibu Moon Filly Tops F-T Pinhook Prospects
- A Look Back: Showdown in the 1986 Marlboro
- Breeders' Cup Decision Looms for Frosted
- Arrogate Finishes Strong in Latest Drill
- Catch a Glimpse May Not be Done for Season