Royal Lad, a four-time stakes winner, will enter stud at Holly Wise's Heritage Stud near Folsom, La.
Arthur Appleton's venerable turf star Forbidden Apple was accorded highweight of 120 pounds for the $150,000 Bonnie Heath Turf Cup, one of six stakes races to be run on Saturday's inaugural Florida Million program at Calder Racecourse. Trainer Christophe Clement said Monday that the Citation Handicap at Hollywood Park will be Forbidden Apple's next start.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' Orientate jumped out to the early lead and never looked back as the 4-year-old son of Mt. Livermore posted a decisive five-length triumph in the $400,000 Smile Sprint Stakes that was part of Calder Race Course's "Summit of Speed" card on Saturday.
A determined Showmeitall narrowly held off Monthir to win Saturday's $150,000 Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) in a head-bobbing finish at Gulfstream Park.
Two contenders for Saturday's grade II Hutcheson Stakes at Gulfstream Park worked Monday morning in preparation for the seven furlong, $150,000 test.
Four stakes races highlight the opening week of Thoroughbred racing at Gulfstream Park. The South Florida racetrack opens a 90-day meeting on Thursday, Jan. 3 that extends through April 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- Rosalind Works Toward Kentucky Oaks
- Vicar's in Trouble Turns in Derby Work
- My Miss Sophia, Got Lucky Breeze at Churchill
- Mine That Bird Still Flies in Kentucky
- Sisterly Love Scores Doubledogdare Upset
- TimeformUS Saturday Stakes Plays
- Speightstown Colt Works Quick Quarter at OBS
- Samraat, Uncle Sigh Work at Belmont