Royal Lad, a four-time stakes winner, will enter stud at Holly Wise's Heritage Stud near Folsom, La.
Arthur Appleton's venerable turf star Forbidden Apple was accorded highweight of 120 pounds for the $150,000 Bonnie Heath Turf Cup, one of six stakes races to be run on Saturday's inaugural Florida Million program at Calder Racecourse. Trainer Christophe Clement said Monday that the Citation Handicap at Hollywood Park will be Forbidden Apple's next start.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' Orientate jumped out to the early lead and never looked back as the 4-year-old son of Mt. Livermore posted a decisive five-length triumph in the $400,000 Smile Sprint Stakes that was part of Calder Race Course's "Summit of Speed" card on Saturday.
A determined Showmeitall narrowly held off Monthir to win Saturday's $150,000 Hutcheson Stakes (gr. II) in a head-bobbing finish at Gulfstream Park.
Two contenders for Saturday's grade II Hutcheson Stakes at Gulfstream Park worked Monday morning in preparation for the seven furlong, $150,000 test.
Four stakes races highlight the opening week of Thoroughbred racing at Gulfstream Park. The South Florida racetrack opens a 90-day meeting on Thursday, Jan. 3 that extends through April 24.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- California's Golden Eagle Farm Set to Close
- Tapit Filly Tops Record F-T October Sale
- Declaration of War Moving to Ashford Stud
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Queen's Plate Winner Lexie Lou in Autumn Miss
- F-T October Yearling Sale Recap Day 3
- Early Thoughts on the BC Pre-Entries
- Romansh Tries One Turn in Bold Ruler