Three years after William Landes III's Roxelana scored the most important victory of her racing career in a dazzling 11 3/4-length romp in the $100,000 La Troienne (gr. III), the 6-year-old mare was sent home May 1.
Roxelana, with Larry Melancon up, took the early lead and turned back a prolonged challenge by Freefourracing for a length victory in Friday's featured $58,200 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Bill Landes' Roxelana, an easy winner at Turfway Park in her return to competition in September, will continue her comeback on Friday in a six-furlong allowance race over her home track at Churchill Downs.
Hallowed Dreams silenced her doubters again Saturday by winning the $75,000 Pan Zareta Handicap by 2 1/2 lengths at Fair Grounds. Now a 10-time stakes winner and victorious in all but one of her 20 career starts, Hallowed Dreams turned back her strongest opposition yet.
Hallowed Dreams and Roxelana highlight a speedy eight-horse field entered in Saturday's $75,000 Pan Zareta Handicap at Fair Grounds. Joining these two rivals in this six-furlong dash on the main track is the defending champion, Steal A Heart. Hallowed Dreams, the filly trained by Lloyd Romero, showed game determination winning an allowance race from the outside post position on Dec. 29 after a two-month layoff.
Cat Thief turned in a solid five furlong work Thursday at Churchill Downs that had Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas wondering if his 4-year-old colt is gearing up for another big effort in the 2000 Classic on November 4 at Churchill Downs.
Darling My Darling tracked dueling favorites Surfside and Roxelana and rallied through the stretch to win the $75,000 Raven Run Stakes Wednesday at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale