Anstu Stables' homebred 5-year-old gelding Balto Star went gate-to-wire to win the $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) by 1 1/2 lengths over Continuously at Calder on Saturday.
Anstu Stable's Balto Star and Dr. John Chandler's Cetewayo are millionaire grade I winners ranking high in the nation's distance turf division and will be among the favorites in Saturday's $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. II) at Calder.
Front-running Warleigh nearly pulled off a theft of Sunday's $172,800 River City Handicap (gr. IIIT) on a yielding Churchill Downs turf, but he could not hold off the relentless charge of upsetter Hard Buck in the final stages.
Two weeks after losing champion Crème Fraiche, Brushwood Stable enjoyed a hard-fought victory by Kicken Kris in the $150,000 Lawrence Realization (gr. III) at Belmont Park on Saturday.
Robert and Beverly Lewis' Senor Swinger, who won the Jefferson Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs by a widening 5 ½ lengths, is the 4-5 morning-line favorite for Saturday's $500,000 Virginia Derby (gr. IIIT) at Colonial Downs. The race for 3-year-olds is at 1 1/4 miles on turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe Retired, to Keeneland November Sale
- Songbird Works at Del Mar, Cotillion Next
- Sweet Loretta Aims for Grade I in Spinaway
- KY Downs to Open With Loaded All-Turf Card
- Next Step for Undefeated Three Rules
- Made You Look Finds Way in With Anticipation
- Oaklawn Reaches Agreement With United Tote
- Los Alamitos Schedules California Chrome Day
- Longtime Voice of Fairmount Park to Retire
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record