Mr. Nightlinger, one of the better turf sprinters in the country, overcame a wide starting berth under Jamie Theriot to post a 1 1/2-length win in the $98,500 Jim McKay Turf Sprint at Pimlico May 15.
Shadowless overtook Rouse the Cat in the final furlong to produce a 16-1 surprise in the $127,120 Kennedy Road Stakes (Can-III) at Woodbine Nov. 22.
The biggest head-scratcher of the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships could well be the inaugural running of the $1-million Turf Sprint Oct. 25.
The wire got there just in time for True to Tradition, who nosed 52-1 shot Rouse the Cat for victory in the Nearctic Stakes (Can-II), a Breeders' Cup "Win and You're In" race on the Woodbine turf Oct. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Nine Honored at Walk of Champions Gala
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- NYRA Privatization Bill Filed
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Thirty on Breeders' Cup Members Ballot