The California Horse Racing Board gave the go-ahead Nov. 29 to begin forming a trust to oversee a new jockeys' health insurance program in the state beginning Jan. 1, 2008.
The embattled Jockeys' Guild was not at fault in the handling of California rider medical insurance claims that were reportedly unpaid or sent to a collection agency, the executive director of the state's horse racing board said in a statement released May 24.
In the ongoing battle over Jockeys' Guild medical coverage for California riders, the state horse racing board directed its staff to begin a forensic audit of the national organization's health care records.
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer's dominance in stakes races at Bay Meadows continued Saturday when his improving filly Crozet scored a convincing victory in the $79,950 Bay Meadows Oaks.
Arnold Zetcher's House of Fortune ran away to a 17-length victory over three outclassed rivals in the $77,025 California Oaks at Golden Gate Fields Saturday.
Bay Meadows reported a slight decrease in handle from 2002 for its recently completed 55-day spring meeting.
Racing was canceled at Golden Gate Fields Sunday when the jockeys deemed the rain-soaked racetrack to be "uneven and unfair."
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Gets Churchill Score in Clark
- Kaigun Storms From Last to Seabiscuit Win
- Take Charge Brandi, Mr. Z to Los Alamitos
- Judge Rules Veitch Improperly Dismissed
- The Turf Debut of California Chrome
- Classic Point Ekes Out Go for Wand Victory
- Cigar Mile As 'Stallion Maker'
- Sea The Stars Colt Leads Tattersalls Session
- Preparing for Breeding Season
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go