Lava Man, the $50,000 claim whose extraordinary string of six stakes victories this year has netted $2,470,000, headlines Oak Tree's $500,000 Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Saturday.
Apprentice Martin Garcia, the leading jockey at Golden Gate Fields, broke a bone in his left wrist and sustained a contusion on his right forehead when he went down in the stretch run of Friday's fourth race.
The classy 6-year-old horse Sweet Return, a multiple grade I winner who has earned more than $1.6 million, is one of eight horses entered in Saturday's $400,000 San Francisco Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IIT) at Golden Gate Fields.
Congrats, second to Rock Hard Ten in last year's $1 million Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I), will try to achieve millionaire status in Saturday's $100,000-added Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) over 1 1/8 miles at Santa Anita.
Alex Solis, who lost major mounts while sidelined for 6 ½ months after a spill at Del Mar July 23, will replace the injured David Flores aboard Singletary in Saturday's $300,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) on the Santa Anita turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules