Lava Man, the $50,000 claim whose extraordinary string of six stakes victories this year has netted $2,470,000, headlines Oak Tree's $500,000 Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Saturday.
Apprentice Martin Garcia, the leading jockey at Golden Gate Fields, broke a bone in his left wrist and sustained a contusion on his right forehead when he went down in the stretch run of Friday's fourth race.
The classy 6-year-old horse Sweet Return, a multiple grade I winner who has earned more than $1.6 million, is one of eight horses entered in Saturday's $400,000 San Francisco Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IIT) at Golden Gate Fields.
Congrats, second to Rock Hard Ten in last year's $1 million Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I), will try to achieve millionaire status in Saturday's $100,000-added Tokyo City Cup (gr. III) over 1 1/8 miles at Santa Anita.
Alex Solis, who lost major mounts while sidelined for 6 ½ months after a spill at Del Mar July 23, will replace the injured David Flores aboard Singletary in Saturday's $300,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile (gr. IT) on the Santa Anita turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Moro Tap to Double Infinity Ranch in Texas
- Somber Mood Hangs Over Suffolk Downs
- Artemis Agrotera Heads Gallant Bloom
- Fair Grounds to Withhold Millions from Purses
- Miss Behaviour Targets Charles Town Oaks
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- HRRN Programming on New SiriusXM Channels
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding