August Belmont II and Paul Mellon were selected as the inaugural Pillars of the Turf inductees for the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame's new category June 5. They will be inducted Aug. 9 in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Scoop the Gold, a stakes winner and dam of millionaire High Yield, died April 17 because of a ruptured aorta.
Dr. Charles Raymond Allen, a prominent New York veterinarian, passed away on Dec. 10, 2001 in Palm Desert, Calif. He was 76. He practiced veterinary medicine for 45 years, beginning at the New Jersey and Florida tracks, and later Belmont, Aqueduct, and Saratoga with Dr. William O. Reed.
Most Popular Stories
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico
- New Standards May be Imposed on NY Stewards
- OBS Sale Closes With Records Shattered
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014