Scott Jordan, who was an assistant starter at Churchill Downs, has been named head starter.
Churchill Downs is searching for someone to fill the post of official starter, a position that includes the duties of sending the horses off in each year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
It was an important morning for Empire Maker and trainer Bobby Frankel, as the Derby favorite went out for his much-anticipated schooling session in the gate. Known for his erratic gate behavior, the son of Unbridled provided a few anxious moments, but in the end passed his test in fine style.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Podcast: Bob Baffert and the Breeders' Cup
- Kentucky Regulator Approves 2015 Race Dates
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- Raffetto Joins New England HPBA Effort
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming
- CT Classic Could Move to Afternoon in 2015
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Fawkner, Adelaide Among Cox Plate Favorites
- Foreign Policy to Stand at River Oaks Farms