Rod Blonien, a tireless California lobbyist for horse racing and gambling interests, died at his home in Sacramento March 13 of an apparent heart attack.
Temporary license extensions of 30 days to the state's four advance deposit wagering companies were approved by the California Horse Racing Board Dec. 16.
Responding to what track owner Dr. Ed Allred called "a desperate situation" at the state's simulcast wagering locations, the California Horse Racing Board agreed to hike takeout on Quarter Horse wagers at Los Alamitos.
The slow-developing California mini-satellite system added one betting parlor July 23 but hit a snag on two others due to problems with the wording of the law authorizing such establishments.
Hoping to avert what one racing secretary called "open season" on the horse population in the state, the California Horse Racing Board took the unusual step of contacting a litigant who has put the board in a tenuous situation over a claiming rule.
A request for an additional 1% takeout hike to help pay for facility improvements at Alameda County Fair, the heir apparent to the closing Bay Meadows, hit a wall of opposition before the California Horse Racing Board May 20.
- By Jack Shinar
The California Horse Racing Board tabled Capitol Racing's harness meet application to conduct its upcoming Sacramento meet Thursday because the association has not paid "impact fees" to compensate Los Alamitos Race Course for overlapping dates when Capitol extended its meeting several years ago.
- By Jack Shinar
California voters will decide Oct. 7 whether to recall Gov. Gray Davis and replace him with one of more than one hundred candidates. But as far as the three influential Sacrameno lobbyists are concerned, the decision doesn't figure to have much of an impact on Thoroughbred racing in the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Looking East, to Far East, for Classic Starters