A federal affidavit alleges that Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich pressured horse racing leaders for campaign contributions in exchange for supporting a bill, passed this month, that requires four of the state's highest-grossing riverboat casinos to share revenue with the Thoroughbred and harness racetracks.
A bill introduced Feb. 22 in the Illinois state legislature would prohibit the transportation of horses into the state for the sole purpose of slaughter for human consumption. The bill is sponsored by Rep. Bob Molaro. A Belgian company, Cavel International, runs a horse slaughter plant near DeKalb, Ill.
Most Popular Stories
- V. E. Day Gives Lezcano Win 2,000 in Curlin
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Lochte Looks to Regain Form in Oceanport
- Ami's Holiday Leads Prince of Wales Lineup
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Keeneland Dirt Installation July 21, 2014
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys