A federal affidavit alleges that Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich pressured horse racing leaders for campaign contributions in exchange for supporting a bill, passed this month, that requires four of the state's highest-grossing riverboat casinos to share revenue with the Thoroughbred and harness racetracks.
A bill introduced Feb. 22 in the Illinois state legislature would prohibit the transportation of horses into the state for the sole purpose of slaughter for human consumption. The bill is sponsored by Rep. Bob Molaro. A Belgian company, Cavel International, runs a horse slaughter plant near DeKalb, Ill.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Dynamic Trade Continues at Arqana Sale
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise