Turfway Park has announced that Vinery will be the title sponsor for the track's Spiral Stakes, beginning next spring. Established in 1972, the race is a grade III prep for the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Turfway Park has reached agreements making its races available to all major advance deposit wagering platforms beginning with the 2009 fall meet and running through the end of the 2010 winter/spring meet, track president Robert N. Elliston announced Sept. 7.
Turfway Park's live racing card scheduled for March 2, has been canceled due to lack of entries. The card had been added to the schedule in an effort to make up races lost to six full or partial weather cancellations, five in January and one in February.
After completing its second holiday meet run over a Polytrack surface in 2006, Turfway Park reported a healthy 7.5% increase in on-track wagering and an 18.7% jump in all-source handle.
The topic of Internet gambling, both the federal prohibition and its still possibly disruptive effects on pari-mutuel business will open the 14th annual International Simulcast Conference in Philadelphia Oct. 16-18.
Turfway Park reported a 23.6% increase from 2005 in all-source handle during the fall meeting that ended Oct. 5 while on-track wagering posted a more modest 4.6% gain.
Warm temperatures that caused rapid thawing of the frozen track Wednesday coupled with rain Thursday led Turfway Park to cancel racing Thursday night. The cancellation is the second in a row and second of the year for the northern Kentucky oval.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident